Search this blog!

Friday, August 28, 2015

   The last two weeks have been a bumpy ride.  We were working on improving his compliance with the medications and not much was happening until the past few days.  The agreement was that if he improved and took the medications more regularly, we would take him to a festival next weekend.  He's just now taking it seriously but at least he is beginning to improve.  At the same time, I have had a first cousin who lives in Ohio who was diagnosed with sclerosis of the liver and it has been a roller coaster ride for the family, praying that he would get better, but eventually he went into hospice care and he passed away yesterday.  We will be going to his funeral next Wednesday.
   Today, was supposed to be the day that our Aspie got his money for cigarettes for the next month.  Yes, he smokes.  He picked that up at the first day program he attended as an adult.  His funds are managed by a care company.  They did not have the payment ready to be picked up today and this being Friday, and he did not have enough to get him through today, let alone the weekend,  I had to purchase his monthly supply for him.  I called the managed care people and told them that it put me over a barrel when he did not get the funds and I refuse to front him money, so I bought them and I want them to repay me, not him, so that there is no danger of my not getting repaid the $150.
   He was also planning to go to the state fair with us today but after not getting his money, he decided not to go.  He wanted us to take him to the sportmen's club and we would pick him up after we returned from the fair, and that is what we did.  While we were at the fair, he called me 17 times and probably made as many calls to his dad also.  He wanted us to leave and come pick him up.  We told him that he chose to go there and he understood that we would be late and managed to squeeze in a couple of more hours at the fair.  To ease the situation, we bought some fresh made fudge and took it to him when we picked him up.  He was tired and ready to go home, so there was little argument from him.
  As we drove into the club to get him, I asked hubby if he thought he might have gotten scared after dark.  I suspect that may have been part of it.  Most of his night fishing has been with one of his CLS workers.  They have stayed out there for long hours at night.  I think he was scared, but he would never admit it.  He wasn't alone.  There were other people fishing along the shoreline also.
   Anyway, another day in the life of an Aspie mom.  I worry often what will happen when Larry and I are gone, or when one of us goes, primarily me, because Larry is not equipped to deal with him, nor is he interested in becoming so.  Sometimes I feel that I am completely alone in this race,  in the middle between the two of them, both pulling with all their might, and me trying to retain my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Total Pageviews


About Me

My photo

Hi, I am Teri West, a wife, retired home schooling mom, 2nd year breast cancer survivor, crafter, musician, and primitive artist living and working in Kentuckiana, (the Louisville, KY and S. Indiana area). My family heritage is in the hills of Eastern Kentucky and Southern Ohio. I grew up in Louisville, Ky and attended Eastern KY University and the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, graduating with degrees from both in education. I married in 1979 and have three grown children, one a degreed artist, one a techie/artist, and an autistic one, a photographic artist. Hubby is a techie. I work out of my home creating primitive items for friends, family, and you. My loves are American folk music, primitive crafting, and American folk art which all emanate from my devotion to my faith, family and friends. I belong to the Louisville Dulcimer Society and I play mountain dulcimer, guitar, violin, native flute, tin whistle, bowed psaltry, and ukelele as well.